Put the Microservices Architecture to Work with Domain-Driven Design and Actors
Intensive, 2-Day, Hands-On Architecture and Programming Workshop by Vaughn Vernon
|This intensive, two-day, hands-on workshop first builds your foundation with a background in reactive programming and the Actor model. The class then expands your understanding with advanced application and system design approaches, such as how to use Domain-Driven Design to build Microservices. The workshop doesn’t stop there, but takes you much deeper into more advanced topics of using Akka, Akka persistence, and how to leverage Akka Remoting, and Akka Cluster. This is a hands-on workshop. Students are strongly encouraged to engage in workshop exercises and write Akka-based source code that includes implementing multiple interacting Microservices.||
Day 1: Building Reactive Systems with Microservices and the Actor Model
The first day of the workshop builds your foundation with actors using Akka. You will learn all the basics about Actor model, the Akka API, using actor hierarchies, resilient systems, and how Akka helps with performance and scalability. Building on the foundation, the workshop next features Domain-Driven Design as a means to architect and design microservices.
- What Is Reactive Programming?
- Using a Microservices Architecture
- How Does the Actor Model Work?
- Preparing Your Actor for Its Next Message
- How Akka Actors Work Together
- Dividing Up Work with Actors
- Testing Actors
- Developing Resilient Systems
- Performance and Scalability with Actors
- Modeling Your Business with Domain-Driven Design and Actors
- Using Akka to Build Microservices
- Ready to implement Microservices with Domain-Driven Design on Day 2
Day 2: Advanced Akka Development
The second day of the workshop expands on the topics of business applications and scalability using actors. You will implement interacting Microservices based on Domain-Driven Design. You will learn how to use Akka with the Play Framework, how Akka Persistence with Event Sourcing and Akka Persistence Query enables you to implement with CQRS. The workshop then helps you with scaling Akka using Akka Remoting and Akka Cluster.
- As a framework, implement multiple interacting Microservices
- Akka in a Web application with Play Framework
- Akka Persistence and Akka Persistence Query
- Akka Remoting
- Akka Cluster